Elder Jeffrey R. Holland came to our stake conference this last weekend and with my Dad being the Stake President that meant Elder Holland was to stay at my parents home.
On Saturday after he spoke at the adult session - which he gave an amazing talk - my family and I were able to go to my parents home and have ice cream with him. No kids, just adults. He is an amazing person. Being able to sit and talk and laugh with an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ is an experience I will never forget. But to top that, before we all left for the night we kneeled together for family prayer and Elder Holland offered that prayer. Words cannot express the spirit that we all felt as we heard him pray for us and the beautiful blessing he offered.
Sunday after the meetings we were able again to meet with him for dinner before he had to leave. This time we had the grand kids - 7 years and older - come over and meet him. Kailey and Emily were in that group. He gave them both a kiss, shook their hands, and Kailey even got a hug. I was so glad they were able to meet him and feel of his spirit.
What I learned from him this weekend will never be forgotten. His testimony of the gospel is real and strong and his love for everyone is almost tangible. I love him for the service and sacrifice he is making for our Heavenly Father and this work.
An amazing experience never to be forgotten.

8 comments:
Wow! What a neat experience. Elder Holland is one of my favorites, so to be able to have ice cream with him :) They are amazing men.
Does it make me cooler if I tell you he's a distant cousin. But I've never had ice cream or even milk with him. That sounds like a great experience.
awesome. just awesome! you almost hate to see it end, right. you dad and family have sacrificed so much for that stake that it's great to see something like this come to pass.
How cool! I am so glad you got to have that experience! If only everyone could carry that kind of spirit around with them.
What an amazing opportunity! I absolutely love him, and his talks are always my favorite. So awesome that your girls got to meet him. I know we're not suppost to covet, but I'm totally jealous!
How awesome! You guys have a great family, I'm sure he enjoyed his time with you just as much!
That is so awesome, having an apostle of the Lord offer a prayer in such a small quiet setting. I too love to listen to Elder Holland speak and am jealous that you got to visit with him. When my parents got set apart we got to go with them to Elders Oaks office and I agree meeting an apostle of the Lord is an amazing, humbling experience. If ever you feel you or your family is sacrificing a lot for the Lord's church, all you have to do is look a lttle higher and you'll see those who are sacrificing so much more.
I didn't know your dad was serving as a Stake President. That makes for a rough time catching some Grandpa time. Thanks for sharing that experience.
Wow!! You are so lucky!! He's always been one of my favorites!!!
Post a Comment